<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 26, 2004

Mormon Networking 

by Mathew
Mormons like to consider themselves a social people--and among themselves I think that is indisputably the case. Most of the people I know in NYC outside of work are Mormon. It seems it is now impossible for me to go anywhere in the world without running into someone I know at church. Last summer I visited Taipei and ran into someone I knew from Vienna.

Since most of my contacts come from within the church, it seems natural to look to church as not only a source of spiritual nourishment, but a place of professional advancement. You do business, after all, with the people you know. Yet there is something disagreeable for me (and I think for most people) thinking about your fellow church/ward members as a business network. Most of us like our religion pure and that means commerce free. We accept the fact that the church needs money to operate as a necessary evil, but don't believe in exploiting the church for material gain. Perhaps this is why so many people object to Mormon-themed businesses (another a topic for another post).

Most of our networking, like most networking in general, is done naturally. We probably all know of cases where someone moved into a ward specifically with the goal of landing clients or hobnobbing with the rich and powerful--but that is undoubtedly the exception.

There have been some steps taken to formalize what has always gone on informally. One of the primary purposes of professional organizations such as the J Reuben Clarke Society is networking.

Yesterday Dave argued that the church should stay out of politics--my question is whether commerce should stay out of church. Or should we take advantage of the opportunity to do business with one another--even overtly favor one another--rather than do business with "gentiles"? And is it wrong to seek out friendships with ward members based on a desire to increase a professional network?

I've thought some about this--and I'll post my thoughts after hearing what other people think.
|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?